Monday, July 21, 2008

Like Family

John told us in training to treat students like you would want your own family to be treated. "How would you want someone to treat your mother or your brother if they took this course?" That really makes sense to me and has been a good guide for handling situations that come up during the BRC.

You may find yourself a little frustrated with the student who can't seem to focus during the demo and then consistently goes the wrong way during the exercise. Or get a bit fed up with the guy who keeps revving the throttle while he's waiting in line. You might wish that somebody would just quit and go home because they're just not up to it.

But how would you feel if your dad or your daughter called you up and said they didn't get a fair shot at the BRC they just paid $300 for? How would you feel if you were stressed out learning something beyond your comfort level, doing your best, only to be told (in words or indirectly through someone's attitude) you weren't wanted there.

That would stink, wouldn't it?

You've got to be compassionate. You've got to be patient. Even when you're tired. You've got to give them the benefit of the doubt. And be nice. Because we're the professionals. And they're paying for a service. And they're going to be riding motorcycles in traffic. Soon.

It's all about what they need.

Hell, I'm just going to treat everybody I meet how I want members of my own family treated! I mean, they're somebody's family, right? And the way I look at it, we're all in this together. On and off the road.


No comments: