Monday, July 21, 2008

Helmet Hell

So I was recently at a bike shop discussing motorcycle helmets with a store employee. She's quite knowledgeable about the products and does a lot of riding herself.

I was looking for a replacement face shield for my full face Bieffe. Nope, no gots. Apparently they don't make that model anymore. I resisted the temptation to say, "So what? You're telling me you don't stock some shields for it? It's not like this thing is old, you know!" Can you believe, she said that they don't continue models very long and then some parts are harder to get..........? It gets worse: She was also telling me about a workshop she went to that discussed, among other things, the fact that helmet effectiveness drops greatly after they age 5 years.

Are you kidding me!!?? Five years and out? I mean, I know it's my head and all, but jimminy......I broke off the moss to get a real nice helmet and..........now what? Some jackass with a microscope is worried about the space age foam breaking down?!! Wasn't the space age foam what made it cost so much in the first place? Or are you just trying to sell me a new helmet? You're killing me.

I'm in Helmet Hell!

More research needed.

I should have asked her if a twenty year old snowmobile helmet bought for $5 at a garage sale was a bad idea....

No comments: